If you are a new parent, you must be exhausted from all the sleep-loss you have been facing because of your baby. Getting sufficient hours of sleep while having a new born is quite tricky. Some may even feel like it is impossible. Well, it might be impossible to get 8 hours of sleep, but it is indeed possible to get at least some undisturbed rest. And you can only have that time for yourself when your baby can sleep for longer hours at a go. Most babies wake up several times a night, either for a diaper change or for feeding. The lesser they wake up during the night, the better for you.
If you are looking for some ways to make your baby sleep longer, this article is for you! Given below are a few tips that you can use to make your baby sleep peacefully for longer hours, which would result in you getting enough sleep as well!
Baby-Sleep Tips for New Parents
- Make sure that you change your baby’s diaper right before they go to sleep. This minimizes the chances of you having to change their diaper during the night, unless they poop or the diaper has soaked through completely.
- If your baby wakes up during the night for a diaper change or for feeding, make sure that you do not turn on any bright lights in the room. You can use an LED push night light instead. This way, your baby stays in the sleepy state and preferably goes back to sleep as soon as you are done changing or feeding.
- Using blackout curtains have worked wonders for some parents. These curtains are completely worth it. These may not be needed much in the newborn stage, but is just so useful during the later stages.
- You can use a thick rubber band between the door knobs on each side of the doo, by forming an X shape over the latch. This will help in muffling the sound of the door being closed, which often startles babies in their sleep and wakes them up.
- You can keep a hot water bottle in the crib. This will add warmth to the crib and make the baby’s transfer from your arms to the bed easier. But do not forget to remove the bottle once the baby is inside the crib!
- Ask your echo/Alexa device to “play pink noise on loop”. This soothes the baby and keeps them relaxed, which makes them sleep for longer hours at a go.
- Infant massage strokes are also said to relax your baby and give them a good night’s sleep. You can also use a tissue to gently swipe over your baby’s face. This relaxes your baby and makes them fall asleep, almost immediately.
- Sometimes, you just cannot fix your baby’s irregular sleep pattern. They are bound to wake up during the night and you can do nothing to fix it. But what you can do is focus on sleeping in shifts with your partner. This way, both of you gets enough sleep!
- If your baby sleeps in the same room as you, it is difficult for you to get into bed without waking them up. You can use a white noise machine in this case. And make sure that you do all your bedtime preparations outside the bedroom. This way, you just come to your room and directly climb onto your bed. This reduces the chance of waking your baby up.